You will never want to implement software that bugs up every fortnight and annoys your customer. Security testing is so, an inevitable step prior to software deployment in client’s place. In this article, we shall bring an insight to the security testing and state why it is so important web applications.
What is security testing?
Security testing forms an integral part of software testing that is done to identify weaknesses and vulnerabilities of a software application. The main objective is to identify the vulnerabilities of software and determine if the data and other resources are protected from foreign intruders. It is a way to verify whether or not a confidential data stays confidential or not.
Due to the notable explosion of the ecommerce websites in the world today, security testing has become all the more important. The testing is done once the application is developed and installed. To identify all the potent vulnerabilities, a network security testing is suggested.
Seven attributes the security testing needs to follow are:
The Security Testing “Terminology”
It is a type of testing that is done by evaluating the system and/or network using various malicious techniques. The purpose of this testing is to protect important data from users who do not have access to the system, like hackers. It is carried out after cautious notifications, considerations and planning.
Penetration testing is categorized into two types – Black Box Testing and White Box Testing. In White Box Testing, the tester has access to all vital information like Code, IP Address, Infrastructure Diagram, etc. In Black Box Testing, the tester doesn’t have any access to any sort of vital information. Black box testing tends to be the most accurate testing as the tester doesn’t have any access to any information, thereby, simulating the testing as a hacker.
In Password crack testing, the system is tested to identify the weak passwords. Password Cracking tools are used for testing of this attribute. The end result is to ensure that users are adequately using strong password.
This is to identify the weakest attributes in the system which might lend easy paths for the malicious software to be attached by unauthorized users. Vulnerability can occur due to bug in software, inaccurate software testing or presence of malicious code. This phase requires fixes, patches to prevent the compromised integrity by malware or hackers.
One of the popular ways to hack a website is URL manipulation where in hackers manipulate website URL query strings and get access to confidential information.
This usually takes place when the application makes use of HTTP GET to pass information between client & server. Information is passed via query string. The tester alters the query parameters to check if is accepted by the server.
An URL Manipulation testing ensures that database records are not accessed neither other vital information of the website by unauthorized users.
One of the other common ways picked by hackers to steal the vital information from the web, the SQL Injection testing ensures all the databases are safe and protected. It is a type of testing that takes the advantages of the loopholes that make the hackers easily pass into the system by passing all possible SQL queries to hack it.
They try to query the database using the SQL Injection statements to pull information and crash the system. Even the errors displayed while crashing the system will provide generous amount of important data to the hackers.
So, SQL Injection testing is purposed to take care of the input fields like comments, text boxes etc. Special characters are either handled or skipped from the input.
Cross Side Scripting (CSS):
Security Testing Approach
• Following are the approaches taken for preparing and planning for security testing:
• Security Architecture Study: The first step is to comprehend the client’s requirements and security goals and objectives in compliance to the security need of the organization.
• Security Architecture Analysis: Comprehend the need of application under test.
• Classify security testing: Collect system set up information like operating system, technology and hardware to identify the list of vulnerabilities.
• Threat profile: Based on the information collected above, a threat profile is created.
• Test Planning: Based on identified threat, security risks and vulnerabilities, a test plan is drafted to address the issues.
• Traceability matrix preparation: A traceability matrix is prepared based on the identified threats and vulnerabilities.
• Security Testing Tool Identification: Identify the most suitable tool to test security test cases faster.
• Test Case Preparation: Prepare a test case document.
• Test Case Execution: Test case execution is done and the defect cases are fixed. Test case regressions are executed.
• Reports: Document a detailed report of Security Testing from step 1 to the final including the still open issues.
At Idexcel, we perform security testing for all our clients to ensure they enjoy a bug free application execution across various domains. Our standards, methodologies and experience help us deliver the best business value to customers.
We have a robust automation framework using SOAP UI open source tool.
Key Features of framework
• Data Driven Framework to test with multiple inputs.
• Supports Security and functional testing of Web Services.
• Affordable framework since we are using open source SOAP UI tool.
• Simple and ready to use framework
• Suitable for both SOAP and REST web services
Would you like to experience an error free execution of your application? Call us today!